Monday, April 7, 2008

Chickens! Concert Series #14: Barbers

Mathew Barber and his sister Jill came through Louis' on their "Sibling Rivalry Tour". Those are the links to their myspace pages. I recommend listening to "settle my accounts with you". Matthew played the first set and Jill the second though they both helped out on various songs. I must say I really liked Matthew's indy folk music. He had a relaxed and engaging voice and style and was very enjoyable to listen to. Jill was more folk/country and wasn't really my cup of tea. Often the guitar reminded me of Anne Murray lullabies and it made me sleepy. Also, she does a kind of wavering with her voice (like what female vocalists did in a lot of older musicals), it's a country thing too I guess. Anyway, I don't care for that style too much. But on the whole an enjoyable time and thanks to Leah for introducing me to some new stuff. Hurray!

Here is a video of Matthew recording "The Look of Love":

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
What the ?! ..... Chickens! by CP is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.