Monday, April 9, 2007

Lent is over...

So I made it through lent unscathed. I can have coffee again (I'm on my second mocha now). Now those who know me know I'm not particularly religious and any respect I may or may not have had in the Catholic Church and its representatives was essentially torpedoed into oblivion a while ago. I know some would say I shouldn't generalize based on some few experiences but quite frankly I can't really think of a particularly positive (read: not very upsetting, boring, or otherwise undermining to my faith in the intelligence of individuals and/or the general populace) so there really is nothing else to go on. Anyway, despite all that, I think Lent is a good idea. Not for religious reasons (though I don't want to make baby Jebus cry by breaking it) but I think in this generally gluttonous western world of ours it is a good character building exercise to give something up for a while. Not just anything, you can't say "I'm giving up smoking" if you are a non-smoker...though I suppose you could take up smoking and then give it up - that would be hardcore. It has to be something hard to give up because not only does it make you appreciate the pleasure you got from it but it reminds you that you can live without it. Also, I like to know that my own strength of will is enough to triumph over temptation (not biblical temptation but "I want that but I'm not allowed to have that but I'm going to have it anyway because I want it" sort of instant gratification temptation). Think of it as giving a positive outlet to your stubbornness. However, it is also very important to remember that even if you don't make it all the way through Lent, you tried and kept trying and that is always a good (and brave) thing (besides, as my Dad says, you can always repent on your death bed). That said, now that I've gone without coffee for this long should I start drinking it again? Should I save my friends the trouble of prying me down from the ceiling because of my caffeine induced twitchiness? Nah!

To Whom it May Concern:

Watch for the signs of Caffeine-Induced Organic Mental Disorder aka. Caffeine Intoxication
Results from recent consumption/injection of caffeine, usually in excess of 250 mg.
Subject exhibits at least five of the following signs:
restlessness
nervousness
excitement
insomnia
flushed face
diuresis
gastrointestinal disturbance
muscle twitching
rambling flow of thought and speech
tachycardia or cardiac arrhythmia
periods of inexhaustibility
psychomotor agitation

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahhh!:)
i like denying myself things when it really hurts, like no alcohol when i've been bad and i'm depressed cause of self badness and want a drink but cannot have one cause i've been bad. having just one time in the year for that is just too constricting for me;)
k.

Anonymous said...

does the bunny have psychomotor agitation? is that what it looks like?
k.

Bodhisaxva said...

Yah man, hardcore ...

I like that, would picking up heroin an dropping it be really hardcore? I wonder if you could argue that that was religious?

Monks doing heroin ... what's next?

Cara said...

Just to play the devil's advocate, there may be an arguement there. Purposefully creating a chemical dependancy and then giving it up? Any monk worth his salt can already give up normal necessities and endure various trials of endurance or discomfort. From what I understand of chemical dependancies they are much more difficult to give up than easy things like food or warmth or sleep (heck, a lot of kinds of addicts give those things up already anyway). Maybe giving up heroin would really test those monks' mettle.

Anonymous said...

you going on and giving up crack, that i gotta see.
k.

 
Creative Commons License
What the ?! ..... Chickens! by CP is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.