Saturday, April 21, 2007

Facebook follies

There are some things that bother me about Facebook (mostly the obvious things). Although I'm not necessarily the one to talk since (even though I was slightly wary of putting personal information on the Internet) it took little convincing for me to join once I found out all the cool kids were doing it. I ended up joining Facebook and I check it almost every day to see what other people are saying. But still, I don't think I like Facebook. No...No I don't. I like things about Facebook, like the pictures and how you can have little mini-conversations that are like an intermediate between MSN and actual email and the fact that a lot of my friends like it.
I don't really feel up to a tirade about the downfall of society and eloquent communication (people communicate a lot, just not properly) or comparing and contrasting the historical physical lack of privacy vs. the present informational and personal lack of privacy (it's a toss up which is worse, the present state of affairs makes for a lot more lonely people I think, I don't care how many "friends" you have on your list). I will say this though, I know I'm not alone in my scorn of people who have like 500+ friends on Facebook. That is stupid! There is no way you know that many people personally and I don't think you should call people your friends unless you have actually met them dammit! Maybe this requires a new word for friend? A word meaning someone who isn't your friend in real life but you know of them through someone who may or may not have met them down the line? Facefriend perhaps?

Anyway, enough of that. I just watched the following short video that spurred me to rant:

Does what happen in the Facebook stay in the Facebook?

Also, here is a story about the use of Facebook to protest Facebook. Oh the irony! I can't really comment too much because new Facebook is the only version I've ever known. The news does make it easier to get in, read the new stuff, and get out quickly though. In the end call me a hypocrite because I use Facebook even though I don't like it, but no one was ever rewarded in the long run by being ignorant of what is going on and this is an aspect of life now. It's up to everyone to decide how they are going to make any new thing (not just Facebook) work for them.

p.s. Now for the quiz: How many times did I use the word Facebook?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's funny cause i was going to post a facebook rant too, but now that you've done it, i'll discuss my views in real time;)
k.

Anonymous said...

also, i think a discussion on the 'north american' and the 'european' use of word 'friend' would be interesting...
k.

 
Creative Commons License
What the ?! ..... Chickens! by CP is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.