Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Letters to Superbowl Commercials

There were a lot of commercials on TV yesterday (also there may have been some sort of sports event?). No, I like football, I do, but I have trouble getting into sports events that I can't find some sort of patriotism or personal link to. I like the CFL and University football and I route for Canadian hockey teams (yes even Toronto if it's a choice between them and an American team). Anyway, I like watching the funny Superbowl commercials and this year there were quite a few good ones. There are also a bunch of just normal or crappy ones that I'm not going to bother with. Besides the normal ones there were a bunch of new movie trailers for Drillbit Taylor, Wanted, Ironman, Chronicles of Narnia, Leatherheads, Jumper, Wall-E, You Don't Mess With the Zohan, and Semi-Pro (I hadn't heard of Semi-Pro yet, another Will Ferrell character movie). All of this years Superbowl commercials are on the Spike website here (the ones that look boring and normal are boring and normal so don't even bother with them or you'll be watching commercials for like an hour.

Letters to Superbowl commercials:

To Budweiser,
You had the most different commercials of anyone (6) and they were mostly funny. The Bud Light series where it gives you super powers is pretty clever. Plus the mash up with Will Ferrell is funny. I'm still not gonna drink your beer though.

To Dell,
Who walks around with their laptop like that?! No one! Bah!

To Audi,
Good work on being mildly amusing with your Godfather spoof (though it's been done). All the other car commercials sucked except for Toyota.

To Toyota,
Badgers!

To Bridgestone,
Two good ones. Screaming animals. Screaming Richard Simmons. Random Alice Cooper. It all works.

To Sunsilk,
Congratulations on being the only female targeted commercial (the Victoria's Secret one was, but only indirectly in a manipulative way). Too bad you weren't good.

To Doritos,
Wow! You shelled out for a 1 minute long music spot (little CP would totally like the song) and a second commercial that was pretty funny (in which a guy is attacked by a giant mouse for his nacho cheese). Kudos to you.

To Kim,
Gatorade has Paton Manning at the end of their commercial.

To GoDaddy.com,
An advertisement for a rejected advertisement. How avant garde. I like how you dis the TV stations with your "wardrobe malfunction" reference.

To FedEx,
A chilling vision of genetic engineering gone awry. Way to make social commentary

To E-Trade,
I see what you're trying to do there and it didn't work. The kid was creepy and the spit-up was unnecessary.

To Cars.com,
Nice! My favorite is the Glondor one but the other one with the same premise but with a head shrinking witch doctor is also funny. It's good when a gimmick comes together.

To CareerBuilder.com,
I especially like the heart one (Ewww!). You always have sweet SB commercials. I remember the "Office Jungle" ones from last year. They made me giggle.

To Coke,
Meh. Pepsi had better ones. However the ad with James Carville (democrat) and Bill Frist (republican) was surprisingly relevant and you get props for that. Also, it reminds me of the recurring scene in Simpsons Halloween episodes where Mr.Burns owes Smithers a Coke. The Shaq vitamin-water commercial was pretty silly.

To Shaq,
You giant clown. I laugh in spite of myself.

To Amp,
What the heck?!

To American Idol,
I hate you and the reality TV shit storm that you started. But, your commercial was funny and you don't take yourself too seriously so I guess you're not that bad.

To Carmen Electra,
How dare you peddle my favorite gum! I hope this means they aren't going to take Icebreakers off the market because it looks like drugs. They remind me of Homer's square watermelons.

To Pepsi,
You had the best commercials for sure and the second highest number of different ones (4)! Thriller salamanders reminds me of Geico. Oh well, still very funny. I liked when the grasshopper got randomly eaten. The commercial with Justin Timberlake was just damn funny! You know what? I'm actually going to post that one because it was my favorite (and it's inclusive too because it's good for both Justin lovers and haters).

Pepsi Stuff: Justin Timberlake - Pepsi-Cola

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool...I get a letter! I didn't like the Gatorade commercial at first and actually yelled at the tv "Derek Jeter sucks" (my anti-Yankee feelings spewing out) but then Payton Manning showed up and saved the commercial in my opinion. Ahhh Payton...
kw

 
Creative Commons License
What the ?! ..... Chickens! by CP is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.