Thursday, February 21, 2008

Monster Truck Week Part 4: Extreme Lawnmower Racing

Apparently there has been organized lawn mower racing in the U.S. and in England for more than 30 years, with the annual Fourth of July Race in Twelve Mile, Indiana and 12 hour lawn mower race in Wisborough Green, England the oldest known events. Who knew? The first rule of lawnmower racing is take off the blades (no not "you don't talk about lawnmower racing"). Events are open to all self-propelled rotary or reel style riding lawn mowers. The mower must originally have been designed and sold commercially to mow lawns and it must remain suitable for lawn cutting (apart from the removal of the blades). After that, the degree of modification of the lawnmower decides what racing class you are in. I'm pretty sure this was an anything goes kind of race but apparently there are 4 different classes of lawnmower race:

Stock Class - As delivered from the factory.
IMOW Class - (Int'l Mowers Of Weeds) Front engine, highly regulated.
Prepared Class - Prepared (modified) drive train, engine, etc.
FX Class - (Factory Experimental) Major modifications allowed.

It seems that lawnmower racers never race for money either, just trophies, bragging rights, etc. You might be inclined to chalk this all up in the "guys are stupid" category, but it just looks like so much fun that I can see why they do it. It's just like go-carts but sillier.
p.s. I remember being allowed to mow the lawn on the riding mower when I was little and how much fun that was. Good times. Why not turn it into a race?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I need to know if there are any lawnmower racing events (or any other weird racing events) coming up in saskatchewan in the next couple of weeks. It's the theme of a tv show I'm working on, and I need ideas, stat! Any info would be appreciated. you can email me if you like - lisa@mg.ca

Cara said...

Hey, well all I know is what came up on google while I was looking for info on this series of posts. Best to check out the CMRC http://www.cmrcracing.com/schedules/view_regional.aspx?Region=Saskatchewan
Or you could check out http://www.racesir.com/# for drag racing.
Hope that helps. Good luck with your show.
-CP

Anonymous said...

Races are Feb 14, 15,16 at Credit union center. PS These guys arent stupid... Its fun, and I m a girl!I m racing if you need more info feel free to email me. hollybob1_trytten@hotmail.com

Ps I am the second off the line in your video riding "thumper" Its cherry black with flames

Cara said...

Cool Holly! Yeah it does look fun :)

 
Creative Commons License
What the ?! ..... Chickens! by CP is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.