Saturday, March 29, 2008

Earth Hour

The World Wildlife Fund's Earth Hour Project:
Turn off the lights for an hour and see how much difference it makes. March 29, 2008, 8pm-9pm.

Earth hour website

The project is meant to raise awareness and it shows how easy it is to reduce consumption, I doubt anyone will suffer because of the lack of lights for one hour. And maybe one person doing it won't matter, just like maybe one person attempting to offset the project by consuming even more won't matter. But what if everyone, everywhere did it?

Saskatchewan takes part in Earth Hour, article in the Star Phoenix (Courtesy of Leah). You know even Fox News did a decent story on Sydney's involvement in the movement.

The info in the following two adds is basically the same. Which do you think is more compelling?





Update Part 1: Check here if you are curious about Lurker's reference to the Facebook Earth Hour group in her comment.

Update Part 2: Even Google "turned out its lights". I think it's important that influential sites like Google to promote awareness of issues and to have a social conscience. Further, companies will reflect what the public demands. However, I am always in favour of considering opposing views on any issue (it's the basis of science after all) so have a look: here and here (these are just two that happened to pop up associated with the Google lights out thing). The former laments all the conformist idiots who are going along with Earth Hour (what a beacon of original right wing fundamentalist thought, no blind conformity there) and the latter, well he showed us because he turned on his house lights and went for a drive to see all the lights that were still on in Saskatoon. Well he may have a point that a lot of lights stayed on in Saskatoon but he derides the integrity of a couple who had turned out their lights and were sitting in their window with a candle. If these people were doing this so that others would see them don't you think that they may have been doing it because the whole point of the movement is to increase awareness by making a statement? Besides who are you to judge people whom you've never met and know nothing of other than they live in a nice house? Do they drive a hybrid and keep the temperature at 15 degrees in winter? Do they have energy efficient appliances and buy organic local produce? Maybe, maybe not the point is you don't know do you. I also Googled anti-Earth Hour and here is a person who actually started an anti-Earth Hour petition! What is that supposed to accomplish? Lousy Earth! What has it ever done for us eh?!

Update Part 3a: As part of Earth Hour SaskPower has promised to measure today's power use and compare it to another typical Saturday. I'll keep track of the results of this and post it later.

Update Part 4a: The more I think about it (the people trying to "offset" Earth Hour by using more energy) the angrier I feel and I have to rant about it otherwise I won't be able to go back to work. But, before I do, let me say that no one is perfect, and sometimes everyone forgets to turn out the light or leaves the computer on or takes a longer shower than they needed to. It happens because if we perceive an excess of available resources then we want to use them and we tend to waste them, it's human nature. We forget, we are careless, we are human. That doesn't make us bad and everyone does it. But, like many stupid or careless things that we do, we do know better! We know we have to conserve resources so there will be more for later (that's why we have things like agriculture and freezers and Tupperware) and we all know that resources aren't infinite (we've killed off enough tasty or furry or otherwise useful or in the way animal species to know that). If you don't "believe" in global warming or in the Earth Hour movement well whatever, that's up to you, you don't have to participate just go on with your life. Whether you are protesting Earth Hour because you think it is hypocritical or it is useless or you just don't care, you've made your point. Good work! You're a savior of humanity and its right to rape and pillage everything in it's path! We're all free now! Hurray! But where do you get off actually trying to use MORE energy than you would have normally!? What is wrong with you!? That goes beyond jaded or apathetic or indignant (those are at least understandable, there is hypocrisy out there on both sides that fuels it and we all feel it sometimes). It's downright petulant, selfish, and even cruel. Just think about what you are standing for! Even if you don't believe in global warming do you believe in wastefulness, exploitation, or greed? Obviously those are things you proudly stand for. Do you believe that there are people in the world who don't have access to all the same resources that you do? Does it make you feel good to show them that you can choose to maliciously piss away these resources if you feel like it? Do you realize that every bit of energy you waste represents time, effort, and money that could be better spent being actually used for something!? Maybe if more people thought about those things before they acted as childishly as you are acting then we wouldn't need Earth Hour.

Update Part 5: Saskboy also had a few things to say about Earth Hour (I like to give shout outs) and he links to someone else who found the same anti-Earth Hour blogs that I've talked about. I appreciate the irony that people who are against these fools (like me) but went to the sites out of curiosity helped to increased their popularity. Oh irony you're a fickle bastard!

Update Part 3b: Here's a news update, looks like Regina actually used a little more power. SaskPower suggests a cold night may have had something to do with it. I wonder how much power would have been used if it hadn't been Earth Hour? More? Maybe, but if that's true I also have some elephant repellent to sell you. They say they are working on some provincial stats and I'll post that when I find it.

Update Part 4b: I got noticed by the smalldeadanimals website that I linked to about the anti-Earth Hour petition mentioned above. I actually ended up having quite a few people visit my site from the link on her post (see Update 5 re:irony). Anyway one comment specifically mentioned me:

Who knows Johnny, but at least our Kate can count.
Unlike the author of chickensinsaskatoon, updates part 1,2,3,4,5,3?
Did we annoy her that much that she got lost after she ran out of fingers and thumb on one hand?
Posted by: Jim at March 30, 2008 8:40 PM


Jim had a problem with my use of the designation 3' (ie. Update 3 prime indicating a sub group of or linkage to the original Update 3). Mathematical symbology is obviously not his strong suit. Since this is the closest thing to actual legitimate criticism of any of the content of the post, I have altered the post so that it is now the more idiot-friendly "Update 3a" and "Update 3b". I assumed Jim was literate since he reads blogs and wrote the comment so hopefully this will alleviate the confusion.

I'm pretty sure the following comments were about me too. The middle one definitely is anyway, but the first and 3rd may have been general. For the record I clearly refrained from implying that the SaskPower results would show anything (positive or negative). In 3b I called attention to the Regina results on purpose, I didn't hide or avoid the issue (I didn't even mention how Canada's larger participating cities all showed a marked decrease in power consumption i.e. Toronto's was 8.3%) because I thought it was interesting. I simply relayed what the article said and I was even sarcastically pessimistic about it. In addition, I wasn't actually mad at people who were refraining from participating in Earth Hour (they have the right to be conscientious objectors if they wish, for whatever reason), I was mad at people trying to actively offset Earth Hour. There is a difference and I believe I specifically belabour this point in the post and in my replies to the comments (even expressing my respect for a skeptical individual who did not feel the need to "offset" Earth Hour like some petulant child). If you are going to criticize me, at least criticize me for things that I actually say (like that petulant child remark, you can go nuts on that, hey it isn't politeness on blogs day anymore so what the heck). Is this a commentary on the reasoning behind "skeptic" arguments perhaps? Nah, that would be an unfair generalization so let's not interpret too much from these:

The leftist bloggers sure work themselves up into a frenzy over SDA. Their foot-stomping overwrought emotionalism is something to behold. How dare we not get with the program? It's offensive enough for a complaint to the HRC.

Posted by: muttsrus at March 31, 2008 8:14 AM

Yikes - the left is really up in arms about this aren't they? All high and mighty and huffy that people would dare NOT participate in Earth Hour.
I found it funny how the first leftie blogger was all excited over how Sask power would PROVE that it had been a success, then the justification of colder temperatures when it wasn't.
And - I thought RT had quit blogging - Is this not about his 5th reincarnation? He is as indecisive as the hapless Dion.
Posted by: Alberta Girl at March 31, 2008 9:22 AM


The lefties, the gaia followers, have went right off the deep end about this. To work themselves into a lather because someone told them they didn't want to sit in the dark like a mushroom, because they didn't believe in that shit, is sending them over the edge.
I am having a hard time believing something as stupid as not participating in a gaia celebration, is enough to make them want to throw stones at us.
Posted by: Honey Pot at March 31, 2008 9:34 AM

15 comments:

The Lurker said...

I've been reading the comments on the Facebook group for Earth Hour and it seriously makes you question humanity's future. Ugh. Grow up people! Turning your lights off for 1 hour will not kill you! If you don't do it you're stupid and if you do, you're still stupid. Yeah well, call me stupid.

I don't know how much of a difference one hour will make, other than raise awareness. Maybe that's the push people need. I'm all for weekly Earth hours and just generally trying to be environmentally friendly to help sustain the Earth. Too bad others just won't clue in until it's too late.

Okay enough ranting for me! I probably should have just posted this on my own blog instead of wasting space on yours CP! Sorry! :)

The Lurker said...

In response to Update #4: "Amen Sister!" :)

Anonymous said...

It is easy to turn off your lights for one hour in a year. What about daily recycling?
Love,Mom

Cara said...

Point taken Mom. Baby steps. If we start with one easy thing then maybe the next thing is a little easier.

Anonymous said...

Earth hour reminded me that I don't need to have all the lights on--it reminded me too that I get alot more work done when my television isn't going. It also allowed me time with my loved one where we weren't distracted by the television or the computer. I would like each of these jackasses who oppose the conservation of energy to spend some time without it. It pisses me off because I am trying to do something, and these jackasses in their penis trucks (sorry I am generalizing and ranting, but you get my point)... just use more and more and more. It is a depressing and extremely frustrating cycle. I have lived without electricity. I have lived with limited electricity. You adapt. The problem is that in our western "American" culture people can not adapt. So we must conserve. We don't deal with it here--but big cities (hello---Toronto) they have blackouts EVERY summer (get some loose fitting clothes and a fan people). We need to conserve energy for vital services--remember last summer with the City Hospital? I'd like to have kids and know that their kids will still have a place to live. If you don't give a shit about the Earth--I suggest you find somewhere else to live.

D

sean foley said...

It's really none of your business how much energy I use - if I want to crank up the power, then that's my decision, not yours. Climate change is a fantasy you and your ilk have cooked up to make yourselves feel like superheroes. Instead, in reality, you behave like fascists, complaining about the harmless actions of others, and attempting to impede modern conveniences and slow down progress.

Anonymous said...

re google- did you notice that only the google english page went dark? If you clicked on the french it was a white as usual.

Anonymous said...

"But where do you get off actually trying to use MORE energy than you would have normally!? What is wrong with you!?"

But isn't that exactly what Suzucki does? Only he justifues his excessive use by buying carbon credits. It's like treating the cost of a speeding ticket as simply the cost of driving fast.OK for the fat cats like Suzucki with lots of money .

Horny Toad

Cara said...

To ww,
I didn't know that, that is very interesting. I wonder why Google wouldn't bother to blacken the French page too. It does register on the hypocrisy meter that they wouldn't try to be inclusive of everyone when the whole point of Earth Hour was to unite the world in a cause. Thanks.
p.s. I respect your decision to abstain from Earth Hour without joining the oppose Earth Hour position. It shows that even though you think building sandcastles is futile, you're enough of a compassionate adult that you don't feel the need to kick over the castles of people who think they are worthwhile.

Cara said...

To Horny Toad,
First of all it's "Suzuki" and I'm not quite sure what you mean. Suzuki is an active environmentalist. For example, his Foundation has even implemented a carbon neutral policy in its offices. So, I'm not quite sure where that is coming from. My quote was specifically referring to people who would maliciously waste excessive energy just because others are trying to conserve it.
On the other hand, I do agree that an attitude of "let's just throw money at it and it will go away" is the wrong approach. Your simile is pretty apt, there does need to be more focus on reasonable solutions that are easily accessible for everyone.
p.s. Do you have a blog that I can check out?

Saskboy said...

There's a cadre of raving lunatics who like to deride Gore and Suzuki because they are the faces of the environmental movement in conservation, and like most people they make occasional mistakes which are easy to attack.

That Paul guy from CyberJunk routinely has trash on his blog that buys into all sorts of wonky conspiracies, usually about Muslims, but also anything that appears on Small Dead Animals. The minority of selfish people who attempted to use more energy during Earth Hour made no difference, many more people are aware of it. It's easy to scorn people so selfish as to attempt to subvert the event, since they are the same people who are in love with memes like Red Friday or STICKERS that show "support" for the troops.

Anonymous said...

So who is this guy who hasn't heard of GW and needs his awareness raised?
Gimme his name and I'll call him.
There can't be more than one, can there?
We hear about GW morning noon and night.
Let me know what cave he lives in and I go see him myself if it will get you guys to shut the hell up for a minute or two.

Cara said...

Ha! You're right maybe instead of "awareness" we should say something like "concern" or "understanding". But you know, according to Nielson, North America has the lowest GW awareness rating of any continent (84%) which is 7% below the global average. What's up with that?
p.s. Check this report, it's pretty interesting:
http://hk.nielsen.com/news/20070201.shtml

Anonymous said...

I thought that the first video had better music and thus came across as more dramatic. I have a feeling that it would get more peoples attention. The second video came up a little flat, that is until the ending. Those kids at the end made me want to cry. I bet that if right after the kids there was a little puppy dying of pollution with a white kitten trying to save it, I totally would have cast my vote for that video.
c

Cara said...

I think I'm more of a "lefty" than a "gaia follower" what do you think. Yeesh.

 
Creative Commons License
What the ?! ..... Chickens! by CP is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.