Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Talking to Politicians: The Green Party

I sent the following email to Amber Jones of the Green Party of Saskatchewan:

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:33 PM, [CP] wrote:
Hello Ms.Jones,
I am an archaeologist in Saskatchewan. I'm currently attending the University of Saskatchewan Masters in Archaeology program but I have been living and working as an archaeologist doing cultural resource management in Saskatchewan for 4 years now. I was curious as to your stance on cultural resource management in Saskatchewan. I know the Green Party is concerned with environmental and native issues, but are there any plans for reform of the heritage branch? Perhaps more incentive for companies to follow protocol, harsher punishments for companies who willingly violate regulations or a better inclusion of historic sites within the legislation to protect our heritage? I know this is less of a hot button issue than environmental protection but I see the archaeology in the province being destroyed day by day and while this is somewhat inevitable in light of industry, there are ways to protect these resources through awareness, avoidance and archaeological recovery before they are lost forever. Does the Green Party have an interest in these concerns and a plan to address them? Thank you very much for your time and any information you may have! I look forward to voting Green.


Today, I got my response from the Green Party (see below) and then I decided to send the same email, with a few modifications (the party names changed; the "I know the Green Party is concerned with environmental and native issues, but are there any plans for reform of the heritage branch?" changed to "Are there any plans for increasing resources or positive reform of the heritage branch"; and the "I look forward to voting Green" replaced with "your response will help determine my vote"), to all the major political parties to see what they say. So this is the first part of a multi-part series that I will post as the answers trickle in. Fun times.

This is what Amber Jones had to say:

Hi [CP],

Thanks for your interest. The Green Party wants to ensure that we have adequate funding to protect both natural areas and our heritage resources. We will ensure further protection of existing parks and heritage sites, and increase the number of protected areas. This will be done both by expanding our national park system and by working with provinces, territories, and aboriginal peoples, including working with the heritage branch. We will purchase private land where necessary and adequately fund Parks Canada. We will also provide more interpretation so as to educate people on the importance of natural and historical sites.

As far as reforming Saskatchewan's heritage branch, the GPS does not have any specific policies, just a commitment to protecting our natural and historic resources. However, we will be having policy forums in the coming months as we prepare for the next provincial election and I would love to speak to you (as my role as leader of the Green Party of Saskatchewan) on what the best way to protect Saskatchewan's resources are.

Amber Jones


If you would like to contact Ms.Jones her email is ajones@greenparty.ca and the Green Party's provincial website is here. FYI the Greens were the only ones with an actual person as the "contact us", the other parties had general email addresses.

p.s. The reason I went provincial instead of federal is because my issue with cultural resource management is by and large a provincially designated issue except for certain federal jurisdictions like national parks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you make me proud CP.
btw, by the time i found out about the federal elections (after coming back from Crete) it was already too late to send my registration form to Ottawa (they then send me a ballot here and i have to send it back by the October deadline)
damn.
k.

Archaeomatt said...

This sounds good and all, but again I don't believe the Green Party's spokes person (sp?) really has a grasp of this issue. By talking to the various branches is not going to 'magically' solve the issue, but to be fair it is better than the conservatives, but the liberals have been known to attempt such talks. If they actually had a grasp of the concept, I think they would address the issues of subsurface rights -and I'm not referring to the mole men here. There are no subsurface rights, currently, for individual citizens. Businesses can put in pipelines or drill holes wherever they feel like it because the person who owns the land does not also own the land below it!

 
Creative Commons License
What the ?! ..... Chickens! by CP is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.